about this image
For this composite, I knew ahead of time that I wanted to drop in a sunset for the background, and that in turn enabled me to add an element of realism by backlighting my subjects with gelled strobes to match the amber light that would otherwise be coming from behind them if they were actually standing in this scene.
tools & gear used
Color matching in Photoshop was made much easier thanks to the gelled strobes, so I mainly focused on tonality and contrast (using Topaz Adjust). I also added a couple of artificial shadows where certain band members overlap each other.
- Canon 5D Mark III
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Standard Zoom Lens
- Elinchrom Ranger Quadra Studio Strobes
- Rosco CTO Gel 20x24
- Elinchrom 22" Beauty Dish w/ Grid
- Avenger Light Stands
- Avenger Boom Arm with Counterweight
- Background image: Fotolia